This is a touch time to be a politician. Michigan Congressman, Jim Ellison, talks about the politics of getting along in Episode 59 of the Talk To Me podcast.
Politics are fascinating. There's gridlock, infighting, power struggles and misrepresentation--and that's just the fun stuff.
Meet Jim Ellison, State Representative in the 26th House District in the State of #Michigan. He was Mayor of Royal Oak from 2003 to 2016. Ellison is a life-long public servant dedicated to protecting Michigan’s natural resources and communities from pollution and bad actors, fighting inequalities that hardworking families face, and empowering local #government to best serve their residents.
:30 Jim's secret to being undefeated in in 5 Mayoral elections
2:45 The "hard gavel"
5:15 Michigan House of Representatives explained
7:00 The difference between State politics and national politics in DC
10:30 How politics came to be about "fighting" (President Trump)
11:30 The Michigan State Capitol allows guns but not picket signs
16:00 When public health policy collides with private health decisions
19:00 The Michigan Governor learns the pandemic in real time
21:30 The downside of failed leadership (working against each other)
23:30 Better to focus on commonality or differences
24:15 "Gun control" is a dumb name (second amendment)
26:00 When politicians "over promise"
28:00 Why we need lobbyists and special interest groups
29:30 The challenge of term limits
31:30 Is special interest money a problem in politics?
34:00 Jim's quest for animal rights
36:45 George Washington and America's two-party system
37:30 "There are four sides to every issue"
Like/Comment as you prefer. Your informed opinion on this content is always welcome.
The team usually improves right after the leader does. Michael Angelo Caruso delivers a fantastic keynote on leadership that’s both educational and entertaining.
Learn what your leadership group needs to know about the best ways to educate, motivate, and reward team members. He’ll talk about ways to handle the four most challenging work personalities, giving special attention to handling negative people.
You’ll learn a simple, yet effective technique for confidence that few leaders use and the best way to offer criticism.
Unfortunately, most managers try to motivate employees using three tools that usually don’t motivate: job descriptions, performance reviews and evaluation forms that are linked to money. It turns out that money doesn’t motivate most employees anyway.
Michael uses the amazing power of story to motivate leaders who attend his presentations. He covers:
• Why money does not motivate most people
• Two things that motivate people almost every time
• 5 Cool Ideas for dealing with under-performers
• Why most job descriptions are de-motivating
• The #1 thing workers want (but don’t get) from managers
• Why performance reviews should be unpredictable
• Why you should never start a meeting late
• A secret for interviewing job applicants that’ll save your job
• How to deal with the 4 most challenging personalities
• Cool Ideas for dealing with negativity
• A fun way to guarantee feedback from your team
• Tips on how to instantly improve your presentation skills
• A simple technique for confidence
• How to read people better and faster
• The fastest way to show interest in someone
• Improve your vocabulary quickly and cheaply
• Find the Power Seat in any room
• The lost secret of how to give a compliment
• 5 Cool Ideas on how to be a better role model
• How to be less of a boss and more of a coach
• Never be the bad guy again
• The “Reward/Consequence” proposal; why it works so well
• The “LB/NT” technique; the best way to offer criticism
• The 15 most powerful words
Join his "Present Like a Pro Group" on Facebook for ongoing speaking tips. Michael Angelo Caruso teaches presentation skills that will help you command the room, get noticed and advance your career.
If you’re a leader or salesperson, Michael will help you become a better presenter for the rest of your life. The most important business skill for leaders and salespeople is the ability to effectively communicate with groups of people.
Look into leadership and sales training so you can keep teams interested, motivated and successful. Use Michael to pump up your next conference or industry event. He’s one of the top keynote speakers in America. And his reputation is expanding to Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and South America.
Set up a free consult with Michael so you can crush your presentations and improve sales. More at www.MichaelAngeloCaruso.com.